Re: lookit does not start on bootup

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:15:31 +0000 (UTC)
Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> I have a minor but annoying problem with lokkit. It does not start at
> bootup. The runlevel look normal eg.
>
> etc/rc0.d/K99lokkit
> etc/rc1.d/K99lokkit
> etc/rc2.d/S01lokkit
> etc/rc3.d/S01lokkit
> etc/rc4.d/S01lokkit
> etc/rc5.d/S01lokkit
> etc/rc6.d/K99lokkit
>
> but I get errors at bootup which don't appear to be captured to any
> file so I can't reproduce them here. I can start it manually by
>
> Chrestomanci:~# /etc/init.d/lokkit start
> Starting basic firewall rules: lokkit.
>
> I reported this as

> but did not get a response.
>
> Is anybody else seeing this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have no idea if this will help you or not, but I once had a problem
with some other things that failed to work prior to the network being
up. I doubt that's the case here, but it still might rely on something
else that needs to load first.

Try changing the "S" numbers to something higher. Maybe start at S99,
and if that works try it again at S50 or something till you get it in
the right range.

Redhat used to have the same problem (don't know if Fedora fixed it)
with pcmcia. It would start /after/ networking, so the network wouldn't
come up because the card needed for it wasn't initializing until later
on in the boot process.

HTH, but I have no idea whether it will or not.

--
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
SpongeBob Squarepants