Network gone, just like that

Hello all,

I have a weird issue. When booting my computer I no longer have my eth0
interface. The local interface is there, and it's working (I can ping the
loopback address) but eth0 is nowhere to be seen. (it was there yesterday)

When booting the computer I get an error from dhclient (eth0: no such device)
and if I try to manually configure it, it gives me the same.
I tried with knoppix, eth0 isn't there either, but I can configure it manually.
When I do so, I can ping the IP address I gave it but nothing else (I'm sure the
cable is working, tested it with my laptop.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I'm running sarge and I've tried with 3
different kernels (2.6.3, 2.6.0 and 2.4) but no go.

I've also swapped the NIC (I happen to have the same one lying around) but that
doesn't help either. Also, the NIC is detected (not sure where to look on the
cli, but in kinfocenter it's listed under the pci devices (it's a realtek))

I can really use some help here :s

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.