RE: Dynamically increase/reduce hardware raid partition?

hi ya michael

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Michael Bellears wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Michael Bellears wrote:
> > when you formatted the disks... did you use -m 1  or some
> > other non-default "reserved space" on these giant disks
>
> No - Standard install with cfdisk (So whatever it uses)

the "-m 1" is for things like mke2fs(fs formatting) not for
cfdisk(low level partitions)

> > > If I add an additional 146.8G drive, and update the
> > array(Raid BIOS),
> >
> > if you changed the "partition" ( raid bios )...  you lost all data
> > - partitions are not dynamically resizable to add new disks
> > to the array
>
> I added the addiditional HD to the dynamic array (HP top tools) - Giving
> a total of ~520G (As reported in HP Tool)

in order for you to be able to add a new disk to expand/grow
your hardware raid, 3 things must work
	- your hw raid controller tools needs to support
	dynamically growing the raid array

	- your partition tools must be able to grow partition
	across multiple disls
		( some partition tools allow you to dynamically resize
		( partitions on the same disk, 256MB root fs to 512MB

	- your filesystem must be able to grow across disks

i'd expect all 3 requirement for adding a 5th disk to an existing
4-disk radi5 setup to fail

- you can make a new raid array of 4 more disks ...

- you can replace a dead disk with a fresh new one

- i doubt you can grow an existing array
	- but its late .. maybe i'm missing something

c ya
alvin