RE: Dynamically increase/reduce hardware raid partition?

Alvin Oga wrote:

> the "-m 1" is for things like mke2fs(fs formatting) not for
> cfdisk(low level partitions)

Ah - ok.

>>> if you changed the "partition" ( raid bios )...  you lost all data
>>> - partitions are not dynamically resizable to add new disks to the
>>> array
>>
>> I added the addiditional HD to the dynamic array (HP top tools) -
>> Giving a total of ~520G (As reported in HP Tool)
>
> in order for you to be able to add a new disk to expand/grow
> your hardware raid, 3 things must work
> 	- your hw raid controller tools needs to support
> 	dynamically growing the raid array

Top Tools does.

> 	- your partition tools must be able to grow partition 	across
> 		multiple disls ( some partition tools allow you to
dynamically
> 		resize ( partitions on the same disk, 256MB root fs to
512MB

Ok - Im running Reiser...problem is, when the new drive is added to the
array in Top Tools (And Array Size subsequently increases), it is not
reflected once in Debian - Would a partition utility re-create the
prtitions, and then magically give access to the additional space?

> 	- your filesystem must be able to grow across disks

Wouldn't Reiser just be seeing the array as a single drive though?

> i'd expect all 3 requirement for adding a 5th disk to an
> existing 4-disk radi5 setup to fail
>
> - you can make a new raid array of 4 more disks ...
>
> - you can replace a dead disk with a fresh new one
>
> - i doubt you can grow an existing array
> 	- but its late .. maybe i'm missing something

Wow - Ok - How do people increase the size of there NFS(NAS) servers
then? When they need additional space, add new drive(s) and mount them
as separate partitions?

Regards,
MB