Re: Alsa devices

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:33:38 +0200
Hans <hansfong@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I finally have a working ALSA 1.0 setup, including MIDI. There are two
> apps, however, which I can't get to work and both deal with the device
> routing.
>
> Rosegarden-2: which device to use for midi? /dev/midi or /dev/sequencer
> don't workt. Neither does /dev/snd/midiC0D0.

If by "Rosegarden-2", you mean the package named "rosegarden", version
2.1pl3-1, that's present in stable, testing, and unstable . . .I can't
tell you what you need to do to make it work.  However, I *can* tell
you that you almost certainly don't want to be running that package.

That Rosegarden, v.2, is dead upstream, has a lousy interface, and
is very feature-poor.  Instead, I encourage you to use what until
recently was called "Rosegarden4" (and has the Debian package name
of "rosegarden4") but is now simply called "Rosegarden" by its
developers (who appear to be pretending that earlier incarnations
didn't exist).  The current Rosegarden is under *very* active
development, has a great interface, and is feature-rich -- so much
so that it's getting close to what you can do with Cubase.

For more on the current incarnation of Rosegarden,
see http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/ . . .I strongly suspect it's
what you want to be using at this point.  Note that it requires
JACK for full functionality.  But if you're doing serious audio
work on Linux, you need JACK anyway.  But I definitely haven't
had any problems getting the current Rosegarden to use the
right device.  It's just worked.

> Audacity: /dev/dsp doesn't work for recording.

Audacity does not yet use ALSA natively.  Instead, it's designed
to use OSS, which means it has to go through ALSA's OSS emulation
capability.  This is sometimes problematic; I don't know why.
I've noticed, though, that Audacity sometimes has problems with
other running programs that want to talk to /dev/dsp.  Run
Audacity from the command line and see what errors you get.  If
on startup you see something like . . .

} PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDWR
} PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000
} PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_RDONLY
} PaHost_OpenStream: ERROR - result = -10000

. . .my suspicion is that some other program you're running
is hanging on to /dev/dsp in a way that's making it hard for
Audacity to use.  That said, I don't really use Audacity much
anymore (I've moved on to Ardour for editing -- even stuff for
which it's overkill, since that helps me learn how to use it),
so someone else may be better equipped to help you here than
I am.

You might also check on the linux-audio-user and alsa-user
mailing lists/archives.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)