Re: Licensed software

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 09:13 -0500, Rance, Kate wrote:

> We have a copy of Debian 1.0 Newton 1386, Debian 2.2, and Debian
> Progeny Source #1 and 2 with a binary/install.  I need to know if we
> are indeed licensed to have these CDs or not.  We have purchased a
> company called MerchantWired that may have purchased this software.
> Can you please contact me to let me know if we are allowed to use this
> software?
Kate, can I call you Kate?

Debian 1.0 is deprecated (no longer being maintained) as is Debian v2.2
(Potato) and are free as in free speech and free beer. Licenses for them
are provided free of charge. Please see that Debian Linux is a
Distribution with a Free Software Guide that it is built upon.
See that here: http://www.debian.org/intro/about

That single link will give you all the information you need to know
about licenses for Debian Linux.

Debian Linux is released under the GNU GPLv2. (GNU is Not Unix, General
Public License version 2)
Seen here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Also, please note that the license prevents someone from taking Open
Source Software and making enhancements or modifications to suit their
need and re-releasing it with MORE restrictions. You can use it full
well with little or no worry. There are many other things you should
read about these kinds of licensing. But those should answer your
questions, pertaining to the Debian versions.

As for the Progeny (Debian Based Linux) since it is a product created
from the resources provided by the Debian Archive and other resources of
Debian... it to has GNU GPL v2 License. Please feel free to use them at
your leisure.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup