Woody XFree86-4.3 Symbol font problem

I've upgraded my XFree86 on my Woody system to XFree86-4.3 by
downloading a bunch of debs from:

  http://opensource.nchc.org.tw/apt/xfree86-4.3/woody/

This was done with the goal of having DRI support for some Radeon cards
I have in various sytems.

Everything works except that I have a very annoying font problem.  The
Symbol font is all screwed up.  I notice this especially in
OpenOffice.org, but one can also see the problem in gfontsel.

Lowercase letters are rendered as uppercase letters, and uppercase
letters are rendered as different symbols altogether.

Has anybody seen this problem, and does anybody know the solution?

Thanks,

-Rob Knop

--
--Prof. Robert Knop
  Department of Physics & Astronomy, Vanderbilt University