Setting up a Taiwanese KDE environment

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a proper Taiwanese Sarge.

Just installing the correct localization files, KDE and OpenOffice have
Big5 menus and everything, Konsole is able to view Big5, applications
talk Taiwanese.  Cool!

Now, it comes the turn of being able to input Taiwanese with the Zhu-Yin
input method.

I've tried cpanel, which tries to regenerate locales and then hangs.
Note: I already have all correct Taiwanese locales generated, but it
overwrites my locales.gen file and takes ages to regenerate things I
don't use.

Then I've tried running xcin and xcin2.3.  xcin2.3 shows a nice input
method selection thingie, which I can click and change, but the keyboard
always inputs english.

I've had a bit more luck with chinput: running chinput, exporting the
right env variable and starting konsole, I can Ctrl+space in it and type
characters, and with Ctrl+Shift I can change the input method, but I
haven't been able to find Zhu-Yin.

So, since most of the documentation of these tools is in some Chinese,
can someone please tell me the shortest path to have Zhu-Yin Taiwanese
input method enabled as everywhere as possible?

Ciao,

Enrico