Re: networking problem with 2.6.4 kernel [was: Re: 2.6.4 kernel install wants to remove current kernel]

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 12:19:06PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| on Fri, 09 Apr 2004 03:42:06PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson insinuated:
[...]
| > I haven't noticed any changes in networking, but that might be
| > dependent on the hardware and what modules I already had configured
| > to be loaded.
|
| the network error i get when i try to reconfigure my network
| interfaces is below:
|
| Reconfiguring network interfaces:

| cat: /var/run/dhclient.pid: No such file or directory

This message results from trying to stop dhclient while it isn't
running.  No harm done.

| Unrecognized kernel version

This I've never seen before.

| done.
|
| i can tell that _something's_ not recognizing my kernel version, but
| what is it?  i probably just need to grab a newer package of
| something, but what?

What is your network card?
What driver did you use with the 2.4 kernel?
What does 'ifconfig -a' report?  (is eth0 listed there?)
What version of the dhcp-client package do you have installed?

-D

--
If you hold to [Jesus'] teaching, you are really [Jesus'] disciples.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.