Re: 2.6.4 kernel install wants to remove current kernel

on Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:47:26PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson insinuated:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 12:32:10PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> | after hearing all the brouhaha about the 2.6 kernel, i thought i'd try
> | it out.  but a simple `apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.4-1-686` wants
> | to remove packages i don't want it to:
> |
> | homeruns:~# apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.4-1-686
> | Reading Package Lists... Done
> | Building Dependency Tree... Done
> | The following extra packages will be installed:
> |   module-init-tools
> | Suggested packages:
> |   kernel-doc-2.6.4 kernel-source-2.6.4
> | The following packages will be REMOVED:
> |   kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686 modutils
> | The following NEW packages will be installed:
> |   kernel-image-2.6.4-1-686 module-init-tools
> | 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 2 to remove and 154 not upgraded.
> | Need to get 0B/15.4MB of archives.
> | After unpacking 19.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
> | Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> |
> | why does it want to remove modutils and my CURRENT kernel image?
>
> I have no idea.  I used to have 2.4 and 2.6 kernels installed
> side-by-side with no problem.  I still have module-init-tools and
> modutils installed because lvm-common depends on it, although I no
> longer use modutils.
>
> | the installer even tells me this is bad (so i haven't done it):
>
> It is not a good idea to remove the currently running kernel and the
> userspace module support tools.

yeah, i'd prefer not to :-P

> | how, then, should i go about installing the kernel image?
>
> Try aptitude.  Trace through the Depends/Conflicts and figure out
> what's wrong.  Something must be conflicting somewhere.  (maybe you
> just need to upgrade modutils while you install module-init-tools?)

after a bit of poking in aptitude, which was very noninformative, i
tried your suggestion of upgrading modutils (from 2.4.15-1 to
2.4.26-1) -- beautiful.  then the 2.6.4 kernel image goes on without
trying to remove everything and its mother.

of course, i've totally failed to show the slickness of apt to my
coworker, because as soon as i booted up with 2.6.4, my mouse (neither
USB nor PS2) didn't work, and i wasn't online.  (right now, i've
reverted to 2.4 to type this :-P).  surely the 2.6 kernel comes with
USB support compiled in?  am i just going to have to suck it up and
roll my own kernel?

thanks again,

</nori>

--