debian testing install bugs util-linux

Hello,

    I am new to Debian, but not new to Linux.  I have an old
laptop and of course Fedora wont install on it, so I decided to
try Debian.  I installed the stable release, but did not like
the fact that it installed with kernel 2.2.20 when 2.6.2 was
already out (along with the fact that there were a lot of old
packages).

    So I have decided to install the testing release and ran
into a few bugs, but not sure how to use the Debian bug system
to search on the items.

    So I read the site and it said to mail this list.

    1) The first bug I encountered was when it was retrieving
packages.  It failed to retrieve util-linux for some reason, but
that did not stop the install.  It just said it could not
download the file. So I continued. I did try several different
mirrors and got the same message.  It seem weird, because it
said it did not install it but after the installation was
complete it seemed to be installed.

    2) The second bug was it seems that the boot floppies
recognized the correct pcmcia device as an i82365 but the
installed pcmcia was set to yenta_socket.  This caused the
system to fail after the reboot for the second part of the
install and pcmcia services not to start.  Once I figured this
out, I entered the second part of the reboot and after entering
in a root password and user name and password, I then switch to
a console and changed this in /etc/defaults/pcmcia to i82365 for
the PCIC controller.  Then I restarted the pcmcia and
networking. It worked and I was able to continue.

   It may be good to have a step in the installer to do allow
setup of pcmcia, but not sure how to do this, or before the
reboot copy the pcic controller from the installer to the live
system before the reboot.

    After I did this it proceeded okay.

    3) I did run into another problem when selecting packages in
the second half of the install.  Some of them failed.  However
after I got the system up,  I was able to apt-get install
synaptic and use synaptic to customize the system. Synaptic is
pretty nice as it gives a Fedora user a familiar interface to
package management.  Some of the packages that got installed are
broken, but I expect that in testing, so I just uninstalled them
and I am still configuring the system and installing /
uninstalling stuff and setting up services.

    4) The only issue I have now is that it seems that I am
getting language errors. Something about LANGUAGE=(not set) from
perl?  There are 4 variables that did not get set, but should be
set.  I can't recall what they are and since they are not
causing major problems for me, I'm not going to worry about
them.

    Have these been already identified as bugs?

Thanks,
Joe