Re: Kernel recompilation

You probably don't have specified an initrd for your kernel in your
bootloader.
This way, the kernel cannot mount the root fs because the ext3 module is
not loaded.
You can create an initrd image using mkinitrd (I don't really know how
to make one, see manpage), or simply add support for ext3 and ide disks
directly in the kernel, not as a module.

strawks.