Re: Intel Pro/100 VE

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:12:05AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Hey peoples,
> I have been trying to get debian to work and have been very
> unsuccessful.   I just got a Toshiba M35-s320 laptop and have been
> trying to install the network adapter with the 3.0r2 disk image.  I did
> some research and I believe that imy network card, Intel PRO/100 VE is
> supported in the EEPRO100 driver but everytime I enable it it says
> insmod failed.  I checked my bios and there is no PlugNPlay option so I
> don't think it's a bios conflict.  Intel supplies a e100 driver but I,
> for the life of me cannot seem to be able to download it.  Any ideas?

It is supported, but it is probably newer than the eepro100 driver in
kernel 2.4.18 (which is used in the woody installer). Since intel seems
to use a new PCI ID for every revision, this breaks autodetection.
There are several ways for solving this :
- find an unofficial woody installer that uses a newer kernel (I don't
  know if/where)
- compile a newer kernel
- change eepro100.c in the 2.4.18 kernel source to include your card
  (somewehere at the bottom). You can see what PCI ID your card is with
  lspci (first lspci to look for the bus id of your card, then lspci -n
  to find the numeric pci id)
- (what I usually do) install bvi (or another hex editor), and edit
  eepro100.o (search for 8086 1038 and replace it with 8086 10xx (find
  xx with lspci as above)). Now the card with revision 0x1038 isn't
  supportyed anymore, but yours is)

Frank