Re: Kernel 2.6.5 and Nvidia driver

Pigeon wrote:
On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 09:55:20AM +0200, Fr?d?ric Dreier wrote:

That's to be expected.  It's the framebuffer.  It exists because it
works better for some people.

Actually I though it was the way to get an higher resolution console. not really a 'must' but console looks better :-)

svgatextmode is the way to get a higher resolution console.

framebuffer is there to support consoles on architectures which don't
have text mode support. Linus himself doesn't like it but
unfortunately some architectures need it.

Double unfortunately the author of svgatextmode has given up
maintaining it because framebuffer exists, so it doesn't support a lot
of modern video cards, including Radeons. I keep telling myself that
I'll get round to hacking it one day. Difficult, because it involves
wading through loads of X source code trying to figure out how to
program a Radeon. I'm just grateful to ATI that the source code is
available.

I'd help. It really is a great tool, cannot do without it.

But... it supports my TNT2, not my MX-440. So... I have to run Backstreet Ruby's X0 on the TNT2 to be able to use svgatextmode, you get a blank screen and a blinking led green power light on the MX-440.

I far prefer svgatextmode to framebuffer: it is just much simpler.

Let's hack it. Then I can get off TNT2's...

Hugo