Re: Kernel 2.6.5 and Nvidia driver

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 09:55:20AM +0200, Fr?d?ric Dreier wrote:
> >That's to be expected.  It's the framebuffer.  It exists because it
> >works better for some people.
> >

> Actually I though it was the way to get an higher resolution console.
> not really a 'must' but console looks better  :-)

svgatextmode is the way to get a higher resolution console.

framebuffer is there to support consoles on architectures which don't
have text mode support. Linus himself doesn't like it but
unfortunately some architectures need it.

Double unfortunately the author of svgatextmode has given up
maintaining it because framebuffer exists, so it doesn't support a lot
of modern video cards, including Radeons. I keep telling myself that
I'll get round to hacking it one day. Difficult, because it involves
wading through loads of X source code trying to figure out how to
program a Radeon. I'm just grateful to ATI that the source code is
available.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons