Re: Chrony vs ntpd

At 2004-04-08T15:09:21Z, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> For certain situations, yes.  Chrony is much better for high latency,
> inconstant network access.  Ntp is not designed for that, on purpose.

OK.  That makes sense.

> If you don't configure ntp right, it can screw up.  But that's the
> operator's fault IMHO.

I guess I'd have to agree.  Debian's ntp installer seems to do a reasonable
job, although I'd like to see it suggest using "pool.ntp.org" as the default
server name.

> Ntpdate and Chrony, used to sync the system up once a day to a high
> stratum (> 2) timeserver are a better idea for most people, and much
> better for the whole time keeping structure.

I wish I had a dime for hearing "let's use the atomic clocks so our time is
more accurate!"  I sync my nameserver to 4 stratum 2 servers, and sync my
network to that machine.  I've had clients point every machine in the
building at stratum 2 servers, but not understand why their machines weren't
in complete agreement.

> For those, Chrony looks like it is simpler to set up, and it will do better
> timekeeping than calling ntpdate every so often, when configured to control
> the host clock's time drift.

Gotcha.
--
Kirk Strauser