Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 18:58, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * John Hasler (john@dhh.gt.org) [040405 04:55]:

> >>The people who live on the island call it Taiwan.  What's wrong with using
> >>the name they choose?
> >

> > Nothing. I consider it most appropriate if we use the name for any
> > country in the way the people itself prefer to call it (except of
> > course, if the name would be non-unique).
>
>    so you're going to call germany deutschland? etc. that could make the
> list of countries quite incomprehensible for general public (different
> alphabets and all that).

Actually, yes. I believe that, whenever possible, country names
(especially for the selection of language and locale) should be written
in their native language. Of course, this would not apply if two English
speakers are discussing Japan, for example, but when asking someone to
choose their native country, the name of country should be written in
their native tongue. After all, if I can't read Japanese, for example, I
probably shouldn't be selecting Japanese as my installation language
anyway. :) (Coincidentally, take a look at the various languages
available on debian.org, fsf.org, gnu.org, google, etc.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837