Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

Anthony Johnson writes:
> We have to choose names from some standards body somewhere...

The "standards body" in question is the UN, which has labeled the place
"Taiwan, a province of China" for purely political purposes.  In normal
conversation the place is referred to simply as "Taiwan".  Tacking on "a
province of China" is making a political statement.  There is no
non-political reason to do it.

> Yes, you love living in China Taiwan. Will you stand on the other side
> when you live in China mainland?

The people who live on the island call it Taiwan.  What's wrong with using
the name they choose?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)