Re: Can't use GUI as root

otto.wyss@orpatec.ch (Otto Wyss) writes:

>> Jaap Haitsma wrote:
>> []
>> this is the same reason as you shouldn't work as root. In GUI is much
>> easier to mess up the system (oh, ie drag&drop /etc into trash comes to
>> mind). And you can get used to work as root in GUI. So better is su or
>> sudo things you need than work as root all the time.
>>
> First I want to confess that I work all the time as root since my
> beginning of using Linux (I forgot when this was).

Don't do this.  A lot of software just hasn't been tested to be
root-safe.  You're opening yourself to the kind of plain bizarre and
extremely devastating bugs that Windows' always-root type security
model tends to bring out.

> Second it's ten times easier to mess your system in console mode
> ("rm * test" instead of "rm *test" comes to mind).

Think twice, delete once.

> Third a true user friendly GUI system should not allow any user
> (including root) to trash your system in a single step.

Actually, that's user-hostile, but OK.  Plus, there's plenty of GUIs
that simply don't need to screw around with the system.  At work, I
use (a slow, seriously badly designed GUI) tool to configure and
activate cell phones all day.  Under what circumstances would this GUI
need a "shit yourself now" function like you describe?  8:o)

> Actually it should never allow it but it needs some time to get such
> a system.

But sometimes you actually want to do something that could be
construed as destructive.

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>