Re: vsftpd

> I am running vsftpd v1.2.1 backported for Woody on an otherwise pretty
<snip>
> The vsfpd.conf file looks like this:

Ummmm ... I know it's generally bad to reply to your own posts, but I have
kinda solved this one ..

For those that are interested ... the users that are eligible for ftp access
must have a valid shell (i.e. not /bin/false) specified in the /etc/passwd
file...
Doesn't say this anywhere in the docs I read, and I thought that disabling
the shell would be a security measure - oh well .. you live and learn! :-)

Cheers,

Pete.