Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

At 2004-04-05T22:05:27Z, Katipo <katipo@weavers-web.org> writes:

> I'm afraid you have confused something.  Taiwan, R.O.C., which stands for
> Republic of China, [...] 'Province of China' on the other hand is a
> totally different proposition.

You're right.  I thought that "ROC" was the label that *China* had applied
to Taiwan.

Please substitute "PoC" for "ROC" in my previous statements.

> By assuming this stance, and therefore endorsing it, Debians' position is
> itself compromised, and everybody associated with it.

By assuming the stance that Debian is uniquely ignoring one single line of
an ISO spec to endorse the position that Taiwan is advocating, then Debian's
position is itself compromised, and everybody associated with it.

Seriously, if enough people don't like the ISO list, then pick another
officially recognized list to use.  *Anything* else is choosing political
sides.  I keep hearing that Debian should avoid taking sides by taking
Taiwan's side, and I just don't get it.

Followup to /dev/null, it appears that this conversation is hopelessly
deadlocked.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.