Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

Bruce Miller writes:
> International technical fora are adamant that they discuss only technical
> issues and leave politics to the politicians.

If that were true the subject of this discussion would not exist.

> The International Standards Organizations operates by consensus. The
> flip-side of consensus is that everyone has a veto.

Wrong.  Taiwan not only has no veto, it has no vote.

> The ISO standard would not have happened without the 100% agreement of
> the United States Government.

Many things would not have happened without the 100% agreement of the
United States Government.  So what?

> Far be it from any of us outside the USA to criticize the right of
> Americans to criticize their government's policy, or for any other
> nationality to criticize its government's policy, but an international
> technical forum is not the place to do it.

We are not discussing government policy.  We are discussing Debian policy.

> It is perfectly reasonable of Debian to adopt an international standard.
> It raises Debian above the debate which is taking place here.

Adopting an international standard that includes a gratuitous political
statement is an endorsement of that statement.  The added clause serves no
technical purpose.  Throw it out.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)