Re: Can't use GUI as root

Jaap Haitsma wrote:
[]
I can start x application if I login as myself and then do su -m, but if I
do a su - it says it cannot open the display. Any idea how I have to set
it up to get it working.

AFAIR, you should (as logged user):
$ export XAUTHORITY=~/.XAuthority

you can put this to your login script.

Blame my ignorance but what's the bad thing of starting an x application
under the root account? It works fine in other distros I used to use.

this is the same reason as you shouldn't work as root. In GUI is much easier to mess up the system (oh, ie drag&drop /etc into trash comes to mind). And you can get used to work as root in GUI. So better is su or sudo things you need than work as root all the time.

hth,
--
misiek
***  Michal R. Hoffmann        |    <mailto:misiek@knm.org.pl>      ***