Re: Can't use GUI as root

>> > I'm running sid and I can login to root from the console but when I
>> try
>> > to startx if fails, the same happens with the graphical login manager.
>> > don't have any problem using a normal user.
>> >
>> > Anybody know what's the problem?
>>
>> Problem exists between keyboard and chair.  Don't log in as root.  Log
>> in as a normal user, and use su -m to run things as root.  Then you're
>> not running *nearly* as much while running as root, less potential to
>> screw things up.
>
> Please notice that I'm not asking whether or not logging in as root is a
> good
> thing, I am asking if anybody knows why my system behaves like that; if
> you
> don't know the answer, fine, but please don't preach to me.
>
> Toshiro.

Toshiro,

I can login with gdm as root, but I had to enable it in gdmsetup.

Paul,

I can start x application if I login as myself and then do su -m, but if I
do a su - it says it cannot open the display. Any idea how I have to set
it up to get it working.

Blame my ignorance but what's the bad thing of starting an x application
under the root account? It works fine in other distros I used to use.

Jaap