Re: Preventing default route being wrongly attached

Hi all,
Further investigations into this problem, suggest thast it is a conflict between diald and pppd. Do I need to get diald and pppd working together if I want to support dial in connections and ppp out to my isp. I use the pon script to start a connection to my isp and poff to disconnect the connection to my isp. If I do require diald and pppd to owrk together, would somebody be kind enought to post configuration files to do this or a sutable location where I can find then.

thanks
Robert Fernando

Andreas Janssen wrote:
Hello

robert fernando (<robert.fernando@ntlworld.com>) wrote:

Q1 How do I reconfigure a Debian 3.x system 2.2.20-idepci so that the
default route is not tied to the sl0 / slip device.
eth0 is setup to be connected to a 3c509 ethernert card.

Why do I need to do this.
It appears that having sl0 atached to the default route before doing a
dial up which uses ppp cause ppp to login correctly, but then fail on
sending of packet data / ping data nothing is sent.

Do I need sl0 /slip  support to be active if want to support dial too
my pc and dialout to a isp that supports ppp. If not how do I prevent slip support from loading.

You do not need slip to use ppp. To make sure you don't have problems
you can:

- remove the slip entry from /etc/network/interfaces or
- remove the gateway entry for slip in /etc/network/interfaces or
- put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d that sets the default route to the
ppp connection (using the route program)

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Robert Fernando