Solution: Re: Problems getting D-Link DFE-530TX+ working

From Bob Proulx

I cannot think of any reason changing kernels would affect the
installation of the X server which is in the xserver-xfree86 package.
I guess that what steef had said, that since I had been using the security packages with the bf24 install there might have been an error getting XServer. Since the default install didn't have a working eth0 card, I couldn't get to the security packages and had no problem installing.

Anyway...

Try this:

 apt-get install x-window-system-core xterm

Did this, worked great, everything was downloaded and installed.  Thanks :)

... Without getting into a window
manager debate, KDE is one option.  ...  Put this in your /etc/apt/sources.list file and you can install kde 3.2 from kde.org.  Or change that to 3.1.4 if you desire the more tested version...

 deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.2/Debian stable main

Then:

 apt-get install arts kdelibs kdebase kdeaddons kdeartwork kdeutils kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdetoys kdm

Again, this worked great! I used 3.1.4 and really think it looks nice. Thanks so much for the
great response and quit time as well :)

So to sum up, I now have the bf24 install, with ethernet card working (no additional setup
required) and with XWindows and KDE installed as per Bob's instructions.

Steve