Re: Linux Server, Please Help

Bill Kalebaugh wrote:

 I want to change my Windows server to a Linux server but can not find
 out what programs to use or if it is possible.

 I have goggled and looked at a lot of how-tos but I can not find out
 if I can set up a server to replace the proxy server I have now
 running windows-98, proxy+, and Sygate Personal Firewall.

 The proxy server is a Pentium 200Mhz with 32MB of ram with a 2GB hard
 drive hooked to a dial-up 56K modem. It feeds a LAN through a hub. On
 the LAN is a network printer, and other computers running, Windows
 2000, Windows98, Linux-Debian and Linux-Suse8.2. All on the LAN have
 fixed IP addresses and the ISP is obtained automatically.

 My ISP lets you have 6 different mail accounts, so I have two
 accounts and my wife has her one email address.

 The proxy server will auto dial and get mail at a predetermined time
 frames form the ISP with out the other computers turned on. When I
 come up on a Linux computer I get my email and surf the web with
 Mozilla or my wife can come up on Windows2000 with Mozilla and will
 the do the same. We also surf at the at the same time.

 Is there any free software out there for Linux-Debian that will let
 me do this. Or do I have to stay with W-98 for a server.

 If any one can give me a list of software I need and briefly how to
 do it. Please let me know so I Can get rid of Windows.

 Thanks Bill Kalebaugh

Hello Bill,

This should help:-

http://www.aboutdebian.com/index.htm

Have a go at that, and any specific problems you meet along the way,
come back to the list, and we'll see what we can do.
Regards,

David.