Re: Upgraidng to 'testing'

jack kinnon wrote:

Hi folks,
Thanks for the link to the broadband modem driver. I was jumping the gun a bit. The driver is not going to help at this stage.

You seem to be referring to some earlier conversations, but you might want to be aware that with the high traffic on this list, most people are unlikely to remember who said what when, particularly if some time has passed.

For example, I have no idea what "link to the broadband modem driver" you're talking about.

In other words, in a message like this, you might want to provide some more context to help us figure out what you're saying / what you're needing, rather than expecting us to remember the context.

I started off with 'stable' and a dial-up modem. Now I have upgraded to broadband. The idea was to have faster download to assist in upgrading to 'testing'. The trouble is that 'stable' only works with dial-up. INow I have 'stable' and broadband but cannot upgrade to 'testing'.

What do you mean "'stable' only works with dial-up"? stable will work with broadband as well as testing or unstable in 98% (my guesstimation only) of the cases. A kernel version, on the other hand, might make a difference, as different kernels may have different drivers.

I'm assuming that by "broadband", you mean you have now gotten either DSL or a cable modem access. Most DSL/cable modems in the past had a standard ethernet port; you just connect your Debian box to that port via an ethernet cable that plugs into an ethernet port on both ends, and you configure networking on your Debian box. Some newer DSL/cable modems have a USB connection only, or both a USB and ethernet connection. If you're using USB, you're looking at considerably more headache to get it working, on stable or on testing, although in this case, stable may have more problems with USB than testing/unstable would have (but still, it's the kernel that makes most of the difference).

If it were me, I'd have a DSL/cable modem with an ethernet jack, then go buy a router/firewall/multi-port switch (4 ports or so) and plug that into the modem, and then plug my computer(s) into the router/firewall/switch.

Then just configure the Debian computer(s) to work on a LAN, which is easy, so long as the ethernet card/chipset in your computer is supported by your kernel.

--
Kent