Re: Useful new package management tool

Alex Malinovich wrote:
On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 13:35, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:

'ellow,

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 20:02, Alex Malinovich wrote:

It's always good to see more new tools for Debian. But have you checked
out deborphan at all? It does pretty much the same thing that your
script does. If your script has advantages over the functions provided
by deborphan, I'd be very interested to hear them. If you're just
re-inventing the wheel for your own amusement, then kudos to you. :) I
did the same thing when I wrote a debian mirroring script that basically
does the same thing as debmirror only using rsync. :)

Well... ours /does/ take up less disk space :-).

I had no idea about deborphan before; will have to investigate it more
fully.  It seems very useful, though.  Thanks for letting me know about
it.

There is another debian-related script at my site.  It simply looks for
packages you've removed but not purged and gives you the chance to purge
them.  OK; I'm going to brace myself for the news that this has been
done before too :-).

Well, if it HAS already been done I don't know about it. It wouldn't be
hard to do it just from a command line, but a script to handle it would
be nice IMO. Just make sure it shows which packages would be purged and
asks for confirmation BEFORE it actually purges them... :)

I used to use a combination of apt and deborphan to keep my primary workstation lean (I try out software as it strikes me). In the past week I've discovered (rediscovered) aptitude. I had thought it was only an uninteresting (to me) interactive/GUI installer. Not so. Use it from the command line just like you would apt-get or dpkg.

It tracks packages installed automatically as dependencies, and will prompt you to remove them if as a result of a later operation they are no longer needed. This eliminates (for me) the need for deborphan.

Like I say, I've only been using it for about a week, but following are a few examples that seem relevant to what you are asking here. Use the -s option to only simulate the operation.

# aptitude purge ~c
purges files that are removed but still have config files installed ("rc" in "dpkg -l")

# aptitude search ~r~i
equivalent to "deborphan -a". any package which no other lists as an important dependency, and which is installed. Maybe add '!~E' to not include essential priority packages, and '!~sbase' to not include packages in base section. '!' is the negation operator.

Be sure to read /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README for the more complete documentation if you install it.

Its tracking of automatically installed dependencies works best of course if you use aptitude right from the base install, but I've managed to get it set fairly well on my long-in-use system with a bit of tinkering.

Part of doing this for you might be, as described in an example in the man page:
# aptitude markauto ~slibs
will start you off by marking all installed packages in your libs section as having been automatically installed, which is usually correct.

dircha