Re: Useful new package management tool

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 13:35, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
> 'ellow,
>
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 20:02, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > It's always good to see more new tools for Debian. But have you checked
> > out deborphan at all? It does pretty much the same thing that your
> > script does. If your script has advantages over the functions provided
> > by deborphan, I'd be very interested to hear them. If you're just
> > re-inventing the wheel for your own amusement, then kudos to you. :) I
> > did the same thing when I wrote a debian mirroring script that basically
> > does the same thing as debmirror only using rsync. :)
>
> Well... ours /does/ take up less disk space :-).
>
> I had no idea about deborphan before; will have to investigate it more
> fully.  It seems very useful, though.  Thanks for letting me know about
> it.
>
> There is another debian-related script at my site.  It simply looks for
> packages you've removed but not purged and gives you the chance to purge
> them.  OK; I'm going to brace myself for the news that this has been
> done before too :-).

Well, if it HAS already been done I don't know about it. It wouldn't be
hard to do it just from a command line, but a script to handle it would
be nice IMO. Just make sure it shows which packages would be purged and
asks for confirmation BEFORE it actually purges them... :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837