How can I halt the PC during boot if CPU is running too fast?

I can O/C my computer stable to 230mhz FSB in Windows but it's not
stable in Linux -- I get ReiserFS corruption.  Up to 220mhz is stable
everywhere.  (Actually I can push it farther but don't want too much
heat).

I'd like  to check /proc/cpuinfo early in the runlevel init
scripts, preferably before the root is mounted, and halt if the MHz
number is too high.  However since 'sed', 'cut', 'bash', and 'halt' are
only available on the filesystem, I'd either need a special tool like
busybox available somewhere or else I have to compile this into the
kernel itself.

(1) How can I stop the computer from booting during boot process, based
on detecting the CPU MHz?

(2) How can I run code before the root volume is mounted?

(3) Is this only possible during the Kernel itself and therefore I need
to ask on a kernel mailing list?

Thanks