Re: How to create a *freezed* distribution of a debian mirror

Bruno BEAUFILS wrote:
Hi all,

I administer a bunch of hosts at work. I have something like 150 PC with 6
servers.
I install those PC with a bunch of hand-made script using ssh, rsync, debconf
and a home made debian mirror.
This mirror is updated every night. It is used for those PC but not only. Some
others machines on our campus use it. So this mirror has to be a clean debian
mirror.

Unfortunately I have to use sid on hosts (clients side) since my users need
recent release of some software (KDE, and GNOME for instance).

At time t I am able to install properly all hosts. Sometime after, let's say
time t+30 days, some changes have been made by my users and thus I need to
reinstall all computers in the same state as in time t.

Unfortunately my debian mirror has changed since sid is unstable by nature.

So installation does not work anymore since some packages have changed a lot
(last experience was with gdm for instance).

Is there anyway to keep a mirror of time t without having to duplicate it at
that time ? Some kind of a customized distribution between sid and sarge ...

I thought about only copying Packages.gz from time t and creating a dumb
debian repository including only Packages.gz with links in it to the real
mirror.
Of course my mirror script will have to keep all packages wich versions are
used in that Packages.gz.

Any ideas someone ?

Use apt-proxy (requires connections over port 9999).  You can set it to
limit the archive by the number versions of each package (i.e., keep
only the newest three versions of a package), period of time since last
last requested (i.e., remove a package if it has not been requested for
more than X days), or total size (1GB, 2GB, whatever).

The good thing is that it only keeps and stores packages that have been
requested by your clients, instead of mirroring the entire archive.

-Roberto Sanchez