Re: Exim, Cyrus, Mutt + what?

ScruLoose declaimed:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 06:21:33PM +0000, steve downes wrote:
>
> > I am using debian testing with:-
> >
> > Exim 3.36
> > Cyrus 1.5
> > Mutt 1.5.5
> >
> > Very happy with it but want to add an auto mail sort to pre sort
> > mailing lists out from work mail into other boxes to read at my
> > leisure. Also a bit of spam sorting would not go amiss.
> >
> > The choices I have been looking at are
> >
> > Cyrus 2.1 (poor documentation, looks complex to set up & no idea how
> >       well it works)
> > Procmail (looks good but cannot see how to integrate it into cyrus)
>
> Jumping in perhaps a bit late...
> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the option of using Exim's built-in
> filtering capabilities.  There's some option to enable in the exim conf
> that allows per-user .forward files with (relatively) procmail-like
> filtering capabilities, which is what I use here and am quite happy
> with.
This is enabled by default. Documentation is slightly hidden but
thoroughly covered in /usr/share/doc/exim/filter.txt.gz. The
exim+.forward combo works so well for me that I've never bothered to
attempt the procmail learning curve.

> As for spam filtering, it's an awfully big question. Lots of people have
> lots of differing opinions on the best way to go about it.
I'm relatively happy with mailfilter, which connects to a POP server and
deletes messages based on header content without downloading them. It
supports scoring although I haven't gotten that far. Mailfilter's main
limitation is that it can't detect attachment names, so you can't
proactively nuke anything with a .pif or .exe extention.

Enough spam leaks through, however, that I'm going to augment it with a
Bayesian spam filter... apt-cache search bayesian ...

Note that I use exim's "Internet site using smarthost" model. If I ran
SMTP directly I'd certainly check out spamassasin.

> One way that I've found worked well for me was "method 1" from dman's
> very helpful howto here:
> http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/
I always try to read dman's posts on this list, he's one of our assets.

Cheers, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net