Squidguard vs Dansguardian

Hi there,

OK, so I have not got broadband (yea!) and have got my firewall etc. in
place.
The next thing for me to sort out is the proxy ... Squid is my first
choice - simply because it's the only one I have any experience of..
I also want to install content-filtering for the kids (rightly or wrongly -
I have decided it's a good option) and started with squidGuard.
The problem with that is that as soon as it starts, it consumes 100% of all
resources (CPU and disk thrash like crazy) making the system unresponsive
and eventually requiring a reboot just to be able to log into the console.
I put the redirector entry into squid.conf and it did indeed appear to
work - just *extremely* slowly.  OK .. so then I decided to try
DansGuardian - much better, system load stay's around 0.4 - 0.15 under heavy
usage.  The problem is that I like the flexibility of squidGuard (acl's
etc.) and the speed of DansGuardian - the latter is a little too strict in
it's filtering policy for my liking...

My (rather drawn out) question is this:

Does anyone have experience of SquidGuard running on Debian (fully patched,
stable Woody system) - if so, what are the gotcha's regarding performance
etc.
The system it's running on is:

    Compaq Presario 850r Dual Pentium Pro 200;
    512mb Ram;
    18gb SCSI Disc.

The squid cache (/var/spool/squid) is on a seperate physical disc,
everything else is just a partition on the 1st SCSI disc.

I am using the blacklist from DansGuardian site, it's quite large but
comprehensive.

Cheers,

Pete.