Re: Just Lost KDE Access

On Thursday 01 April 2004 06:03 pm, Scarletdown wrote:
> During my recent attempts to troubleshoot my previous gphoto2 problems,
> I did another apt-get upgrade.  That did not fix the problem, so I
> powered down to make sure the serial cable for the camera was secured.
> When I booted back up, I got to the gdm login screen.  I logged in, but
> found that KDE is no longer one of the session options, so I can now no
> longer get to my KDE desktop.
>
> Short of completely reinstalling the operating system to at least get
> everything back to the way it was before I started messing around with
> apt-get upgrade, is there any way I can configure the gdm login to once
> again recognize KDE as a valid session type?

I don't use gdm, but my guess is that this is related to bug #240980.
According to the bug report gdm changed where it gets session types from in
version 2.4.4.x.  2.4.4.7-1 was accepted into unstable on March 29.  Before
that, 2.4.1.7-1 was the version in unstable.  So, this is probably the
cause of your problem.  Downgrading gdm to the version in testing
(2.4.1.7-1) would probably fix this for you, without you having to
reinstall anything.

Josh