Just Lost KDE Access

During my recent attempts to troubleshoot my previous gphoto2 problems, I did another apt-get upgrade. That did not fix the problem, so I powered down to make sure the serial cable for the camera was secured. When I booted back up, I got to the gdm login screen. I logged in, but found that KDE is no longer one of the session options, so I can now no longer get to my KDE desktop.

Short of completely reinstalling the operating system to at least get everything back to the way it was before I started messing around with apt-get upgrade, is there any way I can configure the gdm login to once again recognize KDE as a valid session type?

I may eventually go ahead and reinstall anyway, but I don't want to do it until after the weekend. I'm currently running via Knoppix, directly off the CD, but even on this system (using an Athlon 2500), it is still rather slow.