Smail, exim vs exim4, etc.

For now, I removed the qmail stuff since I had not the foggiest on how to make
use of it. Smail was removed when qmail was installed so I tried to get that
back. This attempted to install exim as well, OK, but the exim would not
install--FCQN identity did not agree. I do not recall ever having set or
changed that. So I put exim4 on instead and that configured fine with my
original machine identity. (Needed one or the other for anacron and a few
others, apparently--love these convoluted dependencies!)

OK, might as well make use of it. I installed a clamav - helper, amavis-ng,
which will work with MTAs. This is not doing anything useful right now. How
do I set that to scan emails on the smail MTA.

Now: Can the exim4 daemon be configured to service external email and feed
that to mailbox and then I would run Kmail of the mailbox instead? How do I
set that up--I have exim4 sitting on localhost right now as defaulted.