Re: Advice for setting up a file server

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 15.40, Kent West wrote:

> >Which Debian version?
>
> stable (woody, currently) - probably no need for the latest and
> greatest packages like you'd likely want on a workstation

You may want to use samba 3, though, as there are quite noticeable
improvements over 2.2 (provided with woody). Don't know if there's a
backport.

Also you may want to use a relatively new kernel and use the ACL patches.
Then you also would need newer libc and coreutils (file-/shell-/textutils
in woody). With samba 3, ACL is quite complete, changing ACLs works from
the windows clients. Don't know about rsync/tar/..., however.

[unprotected network]
Hmmm. Do *not* *ever* use NFS in such an environment, I guess. Have the
Linux clients use samba, too (Dunno anything about samba at its security,
though). Perhaps you want to set up the communication between the server
and the clients over IPSec? (If you're going to use woody, that means
patching the kernel, too. 2.6.x kernel and iirc newest 2.4. kernel have
builtin support for KAME).

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 18th day of Discord in the YOLD 3170