importing gnumeric spreadsheets into abiword (woody)

Greetings,

Is there an easy way (or any way at all) to import gnumeric spreadsheets
into abiword files? (abiword 1.0.2, gnumeric 1.0.8, woody 3.0r2)  The
only common file format for import/export between these seems to be
plain ascii, and using that not even the spacings are preserved and I
need to manually add spaces to line up the columns, it's a royal pain in
the behind.

I've tried going through openoffice.org 1.1, importing the rtf output of
abiword into OO write (bulleted lists are lost) and importing the
windows 95 output of gnumeric into OO calc, but it seems it's not
possible to import something from OO calc into OO write.

There has to be a way, right? With some plug-in?  I need to do this
importing repeatedly (preferably gnumeric -> abiword, without additional
conversions that will require manual tweaking).

Any suggestions out there? Even if I have to re-input/convert both the
documents and spreadsheets, what pair of programs play nice together?

Thanks for any hints.

A.