Can no longer log on!!

Tried to configure ldap. Never got that to work but something got messed up
in the process. Migrationtools was used and this might have done it.

I got on using the knoppix CD and removed the ldap packages (can always try
again later on--unfortunately that hit some KDE as well before I aborted
that one, but I can get those back as well). However, I still cannot logon.

>From the KDE logon, I get "critical error ...". Log files viewed from the
knoppix log on, chroot, ... were not informative.
>From a console logon, I get "logon incorrect". Eventually it will time out.

NO account, root or others, will log in.

How can I fix this?