Re: Advice for setting up a file server

Stefan Goessling wrote:
Hello List!

I would very much appreciate any advice concerning the set-up of a Debian
based file server. I have some experience in Debian desktops and laptops,
but none so far with servers. My list of questions is long, I know, but
any answer would help. Thank you!

Best regards, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)

Questions:

Which Debian version?

As others have said: Woody.

Which packages should I use?

firewall -> shorewall
mailer -> postfix
lockdown -> bastille
intrusion detect -> integrit, tripwire, or aide
log monitoring -> logcheck

Which security measures to take?

Read this FIRST:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

If you are building the machine from scratch (it sounds
like you are) then it is much easier to install/configure
everything initially with security in mind.  Trying to
rearrange stuff later is a pain.

Make sure to setup your partition scheme on paper ahead
of time.  Give yourself double the room you think you will
need.  You may also want to look into LVM for a more
flexible alternative.

Which backup procedure is recommended?

If the backup host has sufficient disk space, then
systemimager.  Assuming a harddrive failure (probably
the most common type of hardware failure) you can
restore the machine in the time it takes to replace
the defective drive, boot the machine and transfer the
image back over the network.

Systemimager also uses rsync (can be limited to rsync
tunelled over ssh, in the case of your unprotected
network) which makes the backup procedure very bandwidth
efficient after you have created the initial image.

Any experiences/success stories in this field?

If your users will have lots of large files, use XFS.
If they will lots of small files, ReiserFS.  A mix is
handled well by ext3.

Don't use NIS for user authentication.  Take the time
and set up LDAP.  I made the mistake of using NIS in my
lab (thankfully behind the university firewall) before
realizing that NIS sends everything in the clear.

Also, if at all possible, choose something other than
NFS for the network shares.  I am not sure what the
alternatives are in this case (anyone else care to
comment).  All I know is that NFS is a total bandwidth
whore.  Even with only a few users, network traffic
slows down significantly.  One of my buddies also used
NFS in another lab on campus, and the network traffic
is so bad (he has many more users than I) that he is
desperately seeking alternatives.  We are both fortunate
in that our labs (mine and his) are on their own private
subnets, but if your traffic will be traversing the
bigger campus network, you may want to look at alternatives
as well.

Are there pre-packaged distros (Debian based)?

Not for general purpose (like it sounds you need).  If
you were doing only a firewall/router or webserver, then
there are a few out there.

Here are the requirements/conditions:

* Server must serve Windows clients (e.g. via samba) *and* Linux clients

This is easy to setup with SWAT (Samba Web Admin Tool).

* Access also via secure channels (scp, sftp) from outside the local net

Again, no problem as long your university does not block
ports, which you said they don't.

* 10+ users (2-6 concurrent) with around 2 GB file space each

What kind of hardware are you using?

* Server runs 24h in an unprotected network (i.e. our university does not
  have any firewall or port blocking)

With good firewall/IDE this should not be a problem.

* System will probably have 2 HDs (80 GB)

RAID or just two drives with stuff on them?

* Second (rather old) machine available for backup service

Definitely a good call.  Make sure it has sufficient disk space.

-Roberto Sanchez