Re: Advice for setting up a file server

Stefan Goessling wrote:

Hello List!

I would very much appreciate any advice concerning the set-up of a Debian
based file server. I have some experience in Debian desktops and laptops,
but none so far with servers. My list of questions is long, I know, but
any answer would help. Thank you!

Best regards, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)

You don't say what kind of server you want: a print server? a web server? a file server? an email server? an ftp server? an authentication server? a database server? a streaming video server? etc etc etc

I'm guess from the "2GB" hint below that this is just a file space server.

Questions:

Which Debian version?
stable (woody, currently) - probably no need for the latest and greatest packages like you'd likely want on a workstation

Which packages should I use?
depends on what type of server. You don't want the X Window System packages (no KDE, no Gnome, no xserver-xfree86, blah blah blah). You will want:
- samba
- samba-common
- smbclient
- smbfs
- ssh
- some sort of firewall software
- some sort of antivirus (for the Windows files stored on your server, because they will be infected; they won't hurt your Linux side directly, but cleaning the files will help your clients and will cut down on virus-induced traffic)
- and then whatever server software you need (apache? exim? etc)

Which security measures to take?
Make sure you have security listed in your sources.list, and update/upgrade often. Firewall. Tripwire or equivalent. Enforce good passwords. Physical security of the box. Backups!! Written (and published) policies. Use ssh/sftp/scp, not telnet/ftp/rcp. Turn off unneeded services (clean up /etc/inetd.conf, uninstall unneeded packages, etc). Configure system to write logs to another machine. Break your filesystem into multiple partitions, and mount "static" partitions, such as / and /usr, as read-only. Use sudo instead of handing out the root password to your co-admins.

Which backup procedure is recommended?
Whatever works. Perhaps raid or mirroring on the local machine; a cron tar job to another machine every night, backup the second machine every day to tape and move the tape off-location (so a local catastrophe doesn't destroy both your primary data and your backup). Or any other of a thousand different possibilities. Basically, whatever allows you to restore whatever you need restored, no matter what comes along. (You probably won't need to backup the "system"; just the user data and system config files.

Any experiences/success stories in this field?
Are there pre-packaged distros (Debian based)?

Here are the requirements/conditions:

* Server must serve Windows clients (e.g. via samba) *and* Linux clients
* Access also via secure channels (scp, sftp) from outside the local net
* 10+ users (2-6 concurrent) with around 2 GB file space each
* Server runs 24h in an unprotected network (i.e. our university does not
 have any firewall or port blocking)
* System will probably have 2 HDs (80 GB)
* Second (rather old) machine available for backup service