Advice for setting up a file server

Hello List!

I would very much appreciate any advice concerning the set-up of a Debian
based file server. I have some experience in Debian desktops and laptops,
but none so far with servers. My list of questions is long, I know, but
any answer would help. Thank you!

Best regards, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)

Questions:

Which Debian version?
Which packages should I use?
Which security measures to take?
Which backup procedure is recommended?
Any experiences/success stories in this field?
Are there pre-packaged distros (Debian based)?

Here are the requirements/conditions:

* Server must serve Windows clients (e.g. via samba) *and* Linux clients
* Access also via secure channels (scp, sftp) from outside the local net
* 10+ users (2-6 concurrent) with around 2 GB file space each
* Server runs 24h in an unprotected network (i.e. our university does not
  have any firewall or port blocking)
* System will probably have 2 HDs (80 GB)
* Second (rather old) machine available for backup service