Re: Problems with latest Apache2 update

* John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com)[20040330 06:05]:
> On Monday 29 March 2004 04:17 am, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> file /etc/hostname  shows the correct name  brutus which is the name of my
> network server on my home network

> file /etc/hosts  lists as follows:
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
> 216.87.145.170	brutus.advance-computing.com
>
> Now the real interesting thing is that when you issue the command 'hostname'
> brutus is delivered
> If you issue the command 'dnsdomainname  --fqdn'  then unknown host is
> delevered.

Is there any way your system would know that its name should
be qualified with advance-computing.com?  You may want to
check /etc/resolv.conf for a line like

domain advance-computing.com

or

search advance-computing.com

With that, your system will get 216.87.145.170 when
attempting to resolve "brutus".  Then it will get
"brutus.advance-computing.com" when looking up
216.87.145.170, so that will be your system's FQDN.

Another option which will have a similar effect is to not
touch resolv.conf but change that /etc/hosts line to

216.87.145.170	brutus.advance-computing.com brutus

This will still allow your system to figure out the right
FQDN.  Editing resolv.conf has the advantage of allowing you
to refer to other hosts in your domain by their short names,
though.

good times,
Vineet