boot says wrong fs type but still works - worrying!

I'm restoring my system after a compromise, with new file system.

On booting, I get a message about "wrong fs type, bad superblock..."
However, everything appears to work normally afterwards.

I've run e2fsck for bad blocks on the new file system and I've tried two
different kernels. The /etc/fstab I'm using is almost identical with
that on the original installation (which still works normally).

What to look at next? (and yes, I have googled without result).

AC
--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic