Re: Question requarding older HP machines

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 01:59:30PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> I expect a kernel compile may take all night on that CPU, you need to
> _at least_ double the RAM, the hard drive is _way_ too small.

It's pretty much fine if you don't run mozilla, kde, gnome etc on the
machine.  I wouldn't both compiling a kernel in this day and age - it
isn't worth the time especially as you can just modprobe the stuff you
need.  Disk is fine.  The box i'm using has about 1.2Gb on it and i'm
doing a LOT with it (read 300Mb is a Postgres DB plus workstation plus
mail and web server).

> If they're going to just act as shell logins (to teach CLI / bash /
> networking / etc.) they may be fine.  Would I want to use Linux on
> those boxes now?  I don't think so.

Most basic X apps will work fine on something that old and slow.  In fact
I used to use one about that fast (with a chunk more RAM) running
Oracle for 20 users as a development server.

> If you can dig up one other machine and load it to the gills with ram
> and fast disk, you could turn it all into a NIS/NFS network that might
> do well.
>
> This is assuming Linux runs on PA-RISC; offhand, I can't remember if
> it does.

It does, and Debian has a PA-RISC port (hppa) :-)

http://www.parisc-linux.org/
http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/

Cheers,

- Chris.