math modelling

Hi group,

I'm looking for free software which is suited for modelling. For
example, I'd like to simulate a flying cannonball with something like
this:

Model:
vy(t) = vy(t) + ay * dt
y(t) = y(t) + vy(t) * dt
x(t) = x(t) + vx(t) * dt
t = t + dt

Initial conditions:
ay = 9.8
vy = 120
vx = 60
t = 0
dt = 0.1

It is primarily intented to teach students how a mathematical model
works. There are several proprietary programs available. In the
Netherlands, probably all high schools use the program Coach for driving
experiments, doing modelling, etc. in physics, chemistry and biology. It
is a dutch program, so probably very few of you will have heard of it.

I think it may be possible to do this in basically every algebra system,
like octave, yacas, etc. but I'd like to do this as easily as possible.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!