Re: Major Hair Loss After apt-get upgrade

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:28:00PM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> Micha Feigin wrote:

> port).

> >>As an update to this situation; I have confirmed that it is not a
> >>problem with the camera itself, as I tried it over on the Windows-98
> >>side of this same system, and was able to download images no problem.
> >>
> >>After booting back to Linux, I ran gphoto2 directly from the console
> >>after manually configuring it for my specific camera.  gphoto starts to
> >>download the picture, then quits after around 15% with the error:
> >>
> >>*** Error (-102: 'Corrupted data') ***                     /  15.9%  16s
> >>
> >>or
> >>
> >>*** Error ***
> >>An error occurred in the io-library ('Timeout reading from or writing to
> >>the port'): No error description available
> >>*** Error (-10: 'Timeout reading from or writing to the port') ***
> >>

> >>Any ideas why this is timing out on me?
> >>

> > You could try as a start to do this as root to make sure that it is not
> > permission problems somewhere.
>
> Yeah.  I forgot to mention earlier that I did indeed try it as both root
> and as a normal user to see if it was a permissions problem.  Both
> times, I got those errors.
>
> > Something else that sometimes helps is to try reinstalling the related
> > packages or purging and reinstalling, it can sometimes be some leftover
> > configuration files that have changed and haven't been updated
> > properly since you changed them.
>
> I tried that too.  I did apt-get remove gphoto2, apt-get remove gtkam,
> and even apt-get remove gimp for good measure.  Then I did apt-get clean
> , thinking that might be the way to purge the old stuff (if that wasn't
> the right way, could someone please tell me how purges are done?)

apt-get purge or aptitude purge or dpkg -P. apt-get clean just removes
the downloaded packages from the system (all the packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives). You need to do apt-get purge on installed
packages though. I think that dpkg -P will also work on uninstalled
but not purged packages but not sure.