Major Hair Loss After apt-get upgrade

Okay, yesterday, I decided to do a mass package upgrade, so from a command prompt I did an su to root and issued the apt-get upgrade command. Nearly 600MB later, everything seemed to have gone well except for some error (that I can't recall exactly) about libgimp1.3.

Anyway, I can now no longer download pictures out of my digital camera (and old Polaroid PDC700, aka DC700 connected to the first serial port). I've been using gtkam as my front end for, gphoto is it? And up until the big upgrade, I had no problems at all with gtkam. Now, when I try to access the camera, I get the following error:

 Timeout reading from or writing to the port.
 Could not get file list for folder '/'

There are other problems as well, but I will save those for another post, since this one is the most critical at this time.

If it helps with troubleshooting, my Debian setup was accomplished via a Knoppix3.3 hard drive install (knx-hdinstall)

So, any ideas why I can no longer access my camera?

-- Scarletdown