Re: Xine/Mplayer can't use xv

Tom Chance <lists@tomchance.org.uk> said on Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:04:40 +0100:
> On Tuesday 30 Mar 2004 13:49, Albert Dengg wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:22:33PM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've got an install of Debian sid (unstable) with Xfree 4.3.0.1, an
> > > nvidia card and the latest builds of mplayer and xine. Neither can use
> > > the "xv" extension. When I try, I get the following errors:

> > > Xlib:  extension "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0".
> > > Xlib:  extension "XVideo" missing on display ":0.0".
> > > main: video driver <xv> failed
> >
> > Hi
> > do you use the nv or the nvidia driver?
> > from my expirience the nv driver does not provide any hw accelleration,
> > including no opengl&xv....
> > (could have changed, i did try with 4.2.1 some time ago...)
>
> Nvidia. GL works fine.

I'm using the nv unacelarated driver, and have some success with:

mplayer -fs -vo xvidix nvidia_vid "$@"

It's not too quick, but it's a heck of a lot quicker than default :)

I have a feeling that I read somwhwere in the mplayer docs that the
above is the only thing that works on nvidia, even with the closed
source driver. I could be wrong...

When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic
Periodic Table Table story, and I will be even happier. ;^)
           --  Emil Brink on /., about the periodic table table.